Friday 23 August 2013

Week 5: Prosumer Culture and My Identity



Toffler defines prosumers as "people who produce some of the goods and services entering their own consumption". Therefore in a way I believe that we are all prosumers to some extent.

From the clothes that people produce or consume to the meals that you cook and consume, these tangible and materialistic goods are all a way of showing people our identity without having to verbally describe it. For example, I'm a prosumer by filling up my car with twenty dollars worth of fuel each time because I'm a student and thats all I can afford. It reflects my identity but also its makes me a prosumer as I'm a consumer "being put to work" (Ritzer, 2010). However, after the rise of Web 2.0 there has been a "dramatic explosion in prosumption." (Ritzer, 2010). 

With social media as a platform for people to easily create their identity and express their opinion online, it has been a "facilitator as a ‘means of prosumption’." (Ritzer, 2010). For example, I can tweet my favourite TV show live with my opinion and have my tweet displayed on screen, therefore this contributes to me being a prosumer. Not only do social networking sites allow users to produce online communities and interaction with other users it has allowed for people to reinvent their identities or create entirely new ones. Youtube, is another example of prosumerism at its finest. A multi billion dollar user generated company where people produce then upload videos of anything for public consumption. Its a perfect vehicle in the modern age for individuals to express their identity.  

Within my work at a cosmetics company I help run the social media and the public relations function. Not only am I consumer of the product, as I use the make up regularly, but I am also a producer in the sense that I market the product through my personal use of it. Therefore in my identity as an employee I am a prosumer too. 

This  proves that we cannot ignore prosumer culture, it helps define our identity and it features in many different aspects of our lives. 

 References:

Philip Kotler (1986) ,"The Prosumer Movement : a New Challenge For Marketers", in NA - Advances in Consumer Research Volume 13, eds. Richard J. Lutz, Provo, UT : Association for Consumer Research, Pages: 510-513.

Ritzer, George and Jurgenson, Nathan 2010 ‘Production, Consumption, Prosumption: The nature of capitalism in the age of the digital ‘prosumer’, Journal of Consumer Culture, vol. 10 no. 1, pp 13-36. 







A popular prosumer platform
Source: www.rudyhuyn.com 

11 comments:

  1. Hello Emma,

    I really liked this post and how you've related it to your life, it makes it easier for me to understand how it affects daily activities.

    I agree with your comment that we are "all prosumers to some extent", and appreciate that you haven't made the idea of prosumer sound negative, but more a positive behavior that you enjoy engaging in. I feel the same way, that prosumerism does tie in with everyday activities such as work, or a goal we are reaching towards career wise or simply an interest - such as the make up brand you work for but also enjoy as a customer.

    The only thing I would say is that I would have liked to see a little more imagery in this post or some embedded links to extend the post a little more, but otherwise great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma

    I completely agree with you that we are all prosuming every day, in so many more aspects and ways than we might first think. I think it is something, that has been going on for quite some time and now more than ever, we do it without realizing it.

    The expression of identity through our prosumption is so evident, and as you emphasise it has been made really easy with the new online social media platforms.

    I like the cohesion of your blogpost, with you always tying the topic to your personal background. It makes for much more interesting and easy reading.

    Keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma. I really like the connection you made between prosuming and your identity. It was particularly interesting to read your personal anecdotes about the topic, as it got me thinking about my own experiences and were nicely relevant to your topic. I also liked the statement that "we are all prosumers", as I certainly agree, especially in relation to social media, as you mentioned with Twitter and YouTube. Overall, a lovely and coherent post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma,
    I quite enjoy reading your blog about prosumer culture and your identity. It is nice to see you providing Toffler’s definition at the beginning of the blog, which facilitated readers’ understanding of this topic. I also agree with your belief that “we are all prosumers to some extent”. You listed some examples of “traditional prosumer” of your own: filling up fuel, working at a cosmetics company; and some example of “prosumers in Web 2.0 age”: tweeting your favorite TV show and using Youtube. Some expressions of identity through traditional prosumption are not as evident as those in the new online social media platforms. But you can recognize those and make connections with our topic. Good job!
    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emma,

    Your blog post this week was very enjoyable to read. You constructed create examples from your own life in relation to prosumers. This makes the notion of this weeks topic evident as you have clearly demonstrated yourself as a prosumer on a daily basis. I also agree with you where you stated that we are all prosumers to some extent. How can we not be? its almost crucial that we are. I was quick to identify myself through your experiences which was also enlightening. Overall you have written a great blog. Well done, and I look forward to more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma, this is an intriguing read, and a good intertwining of sources and personal experiences to illustrate the role of prosumption. Your mention of acting as a prosumer through filling up your petrol is an interesting one. It is something we, as Australians, are generally accustomed to, however, in my time in Europe last year, I was surprised to find petrol station employees whose job it was to actually fill up our tanks for us. Moreover, in regards to your prosumer work with your cosmetics workplace, I'd be interested to hear if you would perform the same tasks if it were unpaid – or would that equate to capitalist exploitation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emma,
    Your blog was particularly insightful because I found that you explained both Prosumer and Consumer considerably well. This helped me because I did not do my blog post on this question, therefore you have given me another outlook on this topic. Also, the two examples you used fit perfectly with what you are trying to convey in your blog. In regards to the company you work for, how you see yourself as a prosumer and consumer holds true. I think as individuals we often only associate ourselves as consumers, but very rarely consider ourselves as Prosumers. Thanks to your bog post I am able to differentiate between both concepts as well as identify when I am a Consumer or a Prosumer! Nicely written, grammar and punctuation was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was well written. I liked your expression of prosumer through your identity. You enabled your blog to feel really personal which made it interesting to read.
    Your use of quotes and definitions really supported your blog aswell. I at first was confused on how i could be a prosumer when beginning this weeks topic. Although now it is clear. How can we not be? Everything we post online is available for others to consume. You explained this really well within your blog.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma I really enjoyed reading your blog as I can completely relate to it! Your use of scholarly sources strongly contributed to the CLEAR examples of the concept prosumption, which enables the audience to recognise the differences between a consumer and a prosumer.

    I completely agree that we are all prosumers to some extentin which social media plays a massive role. More interesting and unique visual imagery could have been included to support your blog post, but a very well written post, and an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Emma I really like your blog this week, it was really easy to read and follow. You were using simple words and everyday life example for readers better understanding of your blog I personally really like it. In the sense for me, without you need to explain what the definition of prosumer exactly is I already know it by reading your example. By reading your blog I just knew it and realised prosumer is not just about technology and internet social media, it could be many other things as well like what you have written in your blog explanation and example.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Emma

    Agree with your points in this blog. The points transition nicely from each paragraph which allows for a greater understanding of your contention. Enjoy the anecdotal stories about your own prosumer and consumer tendencies. I would have enjoyed some visual variety in the blog to break up the text, such as an image relating to the blog or perhaps some hyperlinks or videos. Otherwise a great blog.

    ReplyDelete